Hawkesbury Promo

To advertise on this site, contact NPereira via the website messaging sytem or by phone 819-665-4844

Web Links

To Add more links here, send a private message to nprereira

Student References
Avinca Ground School Ltd
TC Aeronautical Inf. Manual (TC AIM)
Can. Aviation Regul. (CARs)
Study and Reference Guide - TP12880E
Restricted Operator Cert Study Guide
TC Flight Test Guides
Robyns PSTAR Guide
PSTAR exam site
Learn to fly a pilot's vlog

Ultralight References
Ultralight reference site
UPAC Ultralight Pilots Assoc.
UPAC Classifieds

General
OurAirports airport refence site
Franktown Weather Radar
Controller (Aircraft for Sale)
NavCan Wx
OttawaPilots.ca Poster PDF Print and post
SkyVector North American Charts

Navigation Aid
CAC Airport Charts

Rockcliffe Related
RFC HomePage
RFC Club Policies

OFC Related

OFC Main Site
OFC Booking Page

Send a Private message to npereira if you would like to see specific links to OFC.

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Author Topic: New tenant at CYND  (Read 356 times)

Offline npereira

• In the air, or in the sea, but I hate being in between.
  • Administrator
    • My only home !
New tenant at CYND
« on: April 06, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
Happu to say that as of sunday, I'll be a new tenant at CYND parked beside the 2 Challenger on the north east taxi with my C-IMMP (aka Sea Imp) Challenger 2 AULA.

WOOHOO !   :victory:
Better to live a dream, than die dreaming.

C-IMMP (aka Sea Imp) 2008 Challenger II 582.
Powered Paraglider C-IJHT  Polini Thor130.
Private Pilot PPL.

Offline David Megginson

• OurAirports
Re: New tenant at CYND
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:35:10 PM »
Excellent! I decided to stay at CYRO for now because of the new instrument approaches, but still, nice to have you as a near neighbour.

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »
I quit CYRO a few years ago and saved $$$$ . CYND is a first class airport with great support , facilities and friendly people.

Offline David Megginson

• OurAirports
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 05:58:31 PM »
Happu to say that as of sunday, I'll be a new tenant at CYND parked beside the 2 Challenger on the north east taxi with my C-IMMP (aka Sea Imp) Challenger 2 AULA.

WOOHOO !   :victory:

I was right on the verge of moving when I found out about the new CYRO approaches. The airport is more convenient for me than CYND (==more flying), so I'm giving it another year to see how things go.

Offline npereira

• Administrator
    • My only home !
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »
I was at the rust remover this year and Chris got to talk about the GPS RNAV approach.

I fly a Ultralight Challenger, but asked if it was allowed for non-IFR equiped / certified aircraft to fly simulated GPS approach, and was told I could, so will be trying that with my Garnin 296 and ForeFlight.  Of course I will not be able to do the complete approach for 9 since I知 not IFR and can稚 pass over the CYR.

Anyways, this should be fun flying.

My only concerned that I voiced was the fact that IFR traffic doing theses approach, may think they have priority over VFR (which was my thinking) but was told no. The IFR traffic swas I値l needs to comply with entering traffic requirements at non controlled airports.

But my thought is, I知 not sure IFR traffic will know that, and may be a cause for complaints and incidents...

We値l have to see how things go this summer, but will definitely be more traffic at CYRO for sure.

The radio work will be tricky especially with the RNAV A approach with switching between 3 different freq in less the a few minutes.

Private Pilot PPL.

Offline David Megginson

• OurAirports
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:26:07 PM »
My only concerned that I voiced was the fact that IFR traffic doing theses approach, may think they have priority over VFR (which was my thinking) but was told no. The IFR traffic swas I値l needs to comply with entering traffic requirements at non controlled airports.

But my thought is, I知 not sure IFR traffic will know that, and may be a cause for complaints and incidents...

Yes, there probably will be a bit of confusion at CYRO at first. But it's reassuring that the vast majority of Canadian airports with instrument approaches are just like CYRO, in that they don't have towers or MF. Near Ottawa, CYRP, CYSH, CNL3, CNP3, CYCC, CYMW, and others have been dealing with this mix of IFR and VFR traffic for decades, with few or no incidents, so it should work out fine for CYRO after a bit of shaking out.

When you're simulating the approaches on your Garmin portable, be aware that there will be a couple of differences from flying the approach for real:

1. The approach won't be preloaded, so you'll have to enter it as a route, and you'll have to make a custom waypoint for the runway threshold (you won't find RWY09 or RWY27 in your database). Don't forget to add the missed approach waypoint.

2. Your CDI won't get more sensitive in the final segments of the approach like it would with an IFR GPS.

3. You won't get turn anticipation for fly-by waypoints.

For the last one, if you have to do a 90ー turn with a fly-by waypoint, just start a rate-one turn ~18 seconds before the waypoint and you should land roughly on the new course. Have fun with it!

And don't feel too bad for the IFR pilots about the fast frequency changes謡e're used to it. 🙂

Offline npereira

• Administrator
    • My only home !
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:21:04 AM »
Thanks for the info David.

Private Pilot PPL.

Offline Ramesh

• New private pilot, looking to explore!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 12:16:24 PM »
Yes, there probably will be a bit of confusion at CYRO at first. But it's reassuring that the vast majority of Canadian airports with instrument approaches are just like CYRO, in that they don't have towers or MF. Near Ottawa, CYRP, CYSH, CNL3, CNP3, CYCC, CYMW, and others have been dealing with this mix of IFR and VFR traffic for decades, with few or no incidents, so it should work out fine for CYRO after a bit of shaking out.

That is reassuring indeed.

Are there any best practices for VFR pilots at such pilot-controlled airports with mixed VFR and IFR traffic? Are IFR pilots expected to announce their straight-in approaches and make sure there is no conflicting traffic in the circuit? Is it a good idea for VFR pilots on downwind to just ask if there is any IFR traffic on straight-in approach, before turning base?

Offline npereira

• Administrator
    • My only home !
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 02:16:03 PM »
Hey Ramesh,

from what I was told at the Rust Remover, no one has priority. although as far as right of way, if im not mistaken, an aircraft needs to give right of way to an aircraft lower.

Also, the IFR pilots "should" be calling the waypoints, so VFR pilots should get to learn these by name and distance this way it gives you a mental image of where the IFR traffic is, how far and if you have time.

I have not experienced this yet cause i havent flown my challenger yet, but I will make it a practice to go to Rickcliffe on a regular basis and get into the circuit.

Private Pilot PPL.

Offline David Megginson

• OurAirports
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 07:10:01 PM »
When I make my calls on an IFR approach to an uncontrolled airport, I translate them into VFR-friendly language. For example, on the RNAV 17 into Parry Sound yesterday, I said something like this:

"Parry Sound Traffic. Cherokee Bravo Juliet Oscar is northeast of the airport at 3 thousand feet, inbound on an instrument approach. We will be flying a 9-mile extended final to runway 17, and anticipate landing in 10 minutes"

Then I made a similar call ~5 minutes from landing, at the IWP (ELSIL), adding that we'd land straight in if there were no conflict. I acknowledge that we usually want to avoid verbosity on the radio, but calls like "5 west of MAVAK on the RNAV 17" or "ELSIL inbound on the RNAV 17" would be meaningless to most pilots (even instrument-rated pilots, if they didn't know the approach or have the plates open). This is a time when a few extra words are worthwhile.

Members Online

15 Guests, 0 Users

Live ATC

Ottawa CYOW
Toronto CYYZ
Montreal CYUL
you require Flash in order to listen to theses streams. Send PM to npereira to have any Aerodrome added.

OttawaPilot Staff

Administrator:
npereira,

Moderators: uberchuckie,

Recent Members

Kibble
RCAF36
Floater
MountainCityAvation
acel
cgroves
Machado