Hawkesbury Promo

To advertise on this site, contact NPereira via the website messaging sytem or by phone 819-665-4844

Web Links

To Add more links here, send a private message to nprereira

Student References
Avinca Ground School Ltd
TC Aeronautical Inf. Manual (TC AIM)
Can. Aviation Regul. (CARs)
Study and Reference Guide - TP12880E
Restricted Operator Cert Study Guide
TC Flight Test Guides
Robyns PSTAR Guide
PSTAR exam site
Learn to fly a pilot's vlog

Ultralight References
Ultralight reference site
UPAC Ultralight Pilots Assoc.
UPAC Classifieds

General
OurAirports airport refence site
Franktown Weather Radar
Controller (Aircraft for Sale)
NavCan Wx
OttawaPilots.ca Poster PDF Print and post
SkyVector North American Charts

Navigation Aid
CAC Airport Charts

Rockcliffe Related
RFC HomePage
RFC Club Policies

OFC Related

OFC Main Site
OFC Booking Page

Send a Private message to npereira if you would like to see specific links to OFC.

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Author Topic: Rockcliffe airport closures  (Read 3558 times)

Offline David Megginson

• OurAirports
Rockcliffe airport closures
« on: March 03, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »
I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the Rockcliffe airport closures for revenue events. The closure this week didn't bother me, but seeing that the airport will be closed for a lot of June, in prime flying weather, makes me more uncomfortable.

I understand the tight spot the board is in, and appreciate that they're looking for new money sources, but the offer to give us temporary spots at Gatineau or Carp is pretty-much useless.  If I did that, this is what my June would look like:

• Spend an afternoon getting someone else to drive me to Rockcliffe, fly the plane to another airport while the person drives there, then have the person drive me home.
  • A few days later, spend an afternoon getting someone else to drive me to the other airport, fly the plane back to Rockcliffe while the person drives there, then have the person drive me home.
  • A few days later, spend an afternoon getting someone else to drive me to Rockcliffe, fly the plane to another airport while the person drives there, then have the person drive me home.
  • A few days later, spend an afternoon getting someone else to drive me to the other airport, fly the plane back to Rockcliffe while the person drives there, then have the person drive me home.

In other words, the offer to give temporary tie-down spots at another airport is basically a zero, and I won't be surprised if there's not much uptake.

If this happens only rarely, I think I could cope—I don't fly all that often—but if it's a regular occurrence, I may need to base the plane somewhere else (with best wishes to RFC, of course).

How does everyone else feel?

Offline AMO

• REDGE
    • Aero Maintenance Ottawa Ltd.
Re: Rockcliffe airport closures
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 09:38:08 PM »
Quite aware of the closures occurring this summer. I was thinking about my colleagues at YRO. I am wondering what impact this may have during the summer on other commercial operations that use the airport. Most notably the helicopter and biplane rides out of the CASM. Whatever revenue the flying club is making, it better be more than full flying hours for the fleet and instructors. Not to mention cost of impact to private rentals. If space at YND becomes an option, they better be ready to pay top dollar because I'm sure space is at a premium.
"The described maintenance has been carried out in accordance with the applicable standards of airworthiness"

Offline jfdoyon

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:16:34 PM »
What's the June schedule like exactly? Don't think I've seen it ... I didn't mind in the slower seasons ... but smack dead in summer??

So we won't have to worry about condo developers wanting to make money off the land, RFC will do that all on its own ... ?

Summer should be off limits ...

Offline hans

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:55:03 PM »
CYND is getting a lot of traffic and former RFC customers. My annual tie-down is $635 plus tax. I think that there are some places still available.

Offline David Megginson

• OurAirports
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 10:30:48 AM »
One thing about CYRO (and CYOW) is that I can get to them by bicycle (~10km each), and I don't have to fight Kanata or Gatineau traffic when I'm done a flight at the end of the afternoon. I'm still a bit nervous about going further out to CYRP or CYND, but I can see myself making the decision if there are many more airport closures during peak flying season.

As I said, I do understand the financial pressure that the club executive is under, and I'm also grateful that they've taken on those responsibilities, but in the end, they're not my problems. I want somewhere to tie down my plane, land/take off, and buy fuel. If CYRO stops being convenient for those things, then a longer drive for CYRP/CYND, or higher fees for CYOW, will start to make sense.

Offline Cloudhopper

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 03:59:30 PM »
I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the Rockcliffe airport closures for revenue events. The closure this week didn't bother me, but seeing that the airport will be closed for a lot of June, in prime flying weather, makes me more uncomfortable.

I understand the tight spot the board is in, and appreciate that they're looking for new money sources, but the offer to give us temporary spots at Gatineau or Carp is pretty-much useless.  If I did that, this is what my June would look like:

• Spend an afternoon getting someone else to drive me to Rockcliffe, fly the plane to another airport while the person drives there, then have the person drive me home.
  • A few days later, spend an afternoon getting someone else to drive me to Rockcliffe, fly the plane to another airport while the person drives there, then have the person drive me home.

In other words, the offer to give temporary tie-down spots at another airport is basically a zero, and I won't be surprised if there's not much uptake.

If this happens only rarely, I think I could cope—I don't fly all that often—but if it's a regular occurrence, I may need to base the plane somewhere else (with best wishes to RFC, of course).

How does everyone else feel?

Slowly reading through some threads in this forum after having been gone for a while. Not aware about closures at YRO being so common, I understand during the big event days in summer though. Anyways, to address D. Megginson's logistical headache, there is another option too. You could drive to YRO in your own vehicle (and use it to go back home when you're done), and fly your plane to another temporary tie-down location. The way to get back to YRO where your vehicle is , is to hitch a ride in another plane. Easier said than done I know, but I'm sure it won't be hard to convince a friend to go up for a flight to fly you back. Even the renters and such, now the FTU may have rules against this, but it's been done before many times with other FTUs.

EXAMPLE: Airplane departs CYOW for training flight to the practice area, some anomaly causes it to divert to CYRP and is stranded there until a mechanic can resolve the issue. Another 172 may already be in the area or is just departing CYOW, and on the way back, picks up the stranded student and instructor from CYRP.

Less driving required, can all be done in under an hour and you're all driving home shortly after in your own vehicles.

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »
Looks like the folks at Rockcliffe airport will be shutting down for at least one week in June. The 2 day event requires extensive work on the course of the spectacle followed by a few days of putting the airport back together.

Offline PMRB

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 04:09:12 PM »
It does seem a bit odd to shut down the airport for street hockey during prime flying season! It's not exactly an important event, nor one that couldn't be easily held in a dozen other locations.

Members Online

17 Guests, 0 Users

Live ATC

Ottawa CYOW
Toronto CYYZ
Montreal CYUL
you require Flash in order to listen to theses streams. Send PM to npereira to have any Aerodrome added.

OttawaPilot Staff

Administrator:
npereira,

Moderators: uberchuckie,

Recent Members

jn8402
Zack
doogs
tony24kobe
tylerblack1201
FlyingOtters
Kibble