Navigation Aid
CAC Airport Charts

Rockcliffe Related
RFC HomePage
RFC Club Policies

OFC Related

OFC Main Site
OFC Booking Page

Send a Private message to npereira if you would like to see specific links to OFC.

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Author Topic: Touch N Go Aviation closed!!  (Read 5759 times)

Offline revking

• Big Mac Contracting
Touch N Go Aviation closed!!
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:15:49 PM »
Was at Carp today and touch n go aviation has gone out of business according
 to sign on the door, has anyone heard whats up with this?

Offline bphilion

Re: Touch N Go Aviation closed!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:24:54 PM »
I hadn't heard but the website is down too.

Carp isnt a high traffic airport, at least in terms of humans and weekdays. Aircraft movements that dont stop there are plenty.

Offline Tony Hunt

• Husky Pilot
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:18:59 PM »
I flew the Trinidad back from Arnprior and was working in my hangar most of the day - saw two helicopters and one 172 in the circuit.  Carp is spooky quiet except on the weekends.  Sad really, that place would be hopping if they let everyone build proper hangars and encouraged some AMEs and avionics shops to set up shop instead of trying to sell McMansions with hangars and becoming Spruce Creek North. 

I'm not sure about the business model for that T&Go shop.  I mentioned it before somewhere in this forum - they stock a lot of cute stuff that new student pilots "think" they need, but were not stocking things that aircraft owners and pilots needed.  How many "remove before flight" t-shirts do you need?  :017:

If you sent an email asking T&Go if they could buy something in particular, Chad either never responded or responded very late, i.e. three weeks after you gave up and ordered a case from Spruce.

It was too far for friends & family to go and buy cute gifts for pilots.  You can get stuff like that at the Aviation Museum gift store.  All the charts and publications could be found locally at World of Maps or downloaded to your iPad.

I had a couple of students who went there and borrowed a headset for a flight, then bought the headset from them.  Not many people do that nowadays, you find someone at the Flying Club who has one and try it out.  Then you order it from Calgary Pilot Supply for about $300 less.  Aircraft stuff, if I need it within a week, I order on-line and drive down to Ogdensburg to pick it up.  Except for oil and lubricants, those you buy directly from Shell at Merivale & Hunt Club Road.

There are a few aviation-related businesses that could survive in this region.  They won't make a lot of money, but if properly run they could survive.  Unfortunately, T&Go never really established an identity, it was partly a pilot gift store (competing with the on-line sources, and no repeat business), partly a paper pubs/charts (a dying business after your flight test is done) and for most of us, simply a place to grab an extra litre of oil if you were already at the airport when you realized you needed some.

This sounds tough.  Obviously good people, and I liked dropping in there to chat, but you could tell sales were always slow.  I wish they had done a better job of researching their market and defining their business.  We do need a few people to take a chance locally in aviation, and I hope they will learn from this and try something slightly different.  I would like to support local aviation businesses, even get involved in one, but it has to make sense.
Tony Hunt
Ex Cardinal CF-TDN
Ex Baron C-GXOY
Ex Husky C-GTHY (my favourite)
Ex Trinidad C-GTLX
Next Aeroplane? - I'm looking!
Instructor - PPL, CPL, Multi-IFR and Tailwheel

Offline bphilion

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
I just wish I didnt have to look to the US for small shops to get QEO up to a comfy shade of IFR.

But its hard to justify a pilot shop markup for sporty's branded products for what sporty's charge for shipping.

OT: the trinidad looks awesome  (I was the plane behind you at the CYRO pumps on saturday)

Offline Tony Hunt

• Husky Pilot
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »
Yes, I saw you taxi in on Saturday.  I was helping John get acclimatized in the Trini, and learning how to work the magic GPS and autopilot efficiently.  We were going to do a cross country instrument training run today, out to St Hubert and back, shoot a couple of ILS at Mirabel on the return, but the winds and snow in the afternoon forecast made us opt out.  I spent the day messing around in the hangar instead.
Tony Hunt
Ex Cardinal CF-TDN
Ex Baron C-GXOY
Ex Trinidad C-GTLX

Offline bphilion

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »
Unless i'm Nuts CF-DPZ  (the supercute little fleet canuck) is the busiest aircraft doing training AT carp

If only one aircraft is intensively learning at the airport, its a big concern

Offline Tony Hunt

• Husky Pilot
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
CF-DPZ - I first took her up in July, she hadn't flown in a couple of years.  She now has five enthusiastic owners, and it seems I hear that call sign in the circuit every time I go out to Carp.  It's good to hear an aeroplane being flown frequently like that.

Two of the owners are student pilots, and there are no brakes on the right side, so you have to stay focused whenever you are moving on the ground.  No cabin heat right now either, although it is on their to-do list! 

:sign0151:

She is lots of fun though, and I'm sure very inexpensive to fly.  I'm going over to St Andre Avellin (CAA2) tomorrow to pick up another Fleet Canuck for a new owner at Carp, so there should be at least three Canucks flying at Carp by the Spring.
Tony Hunt
Ex Cardinal CF-TDN
Ex Baron C-GXOY
Ex Trinidad C-GTLX

Offline revking

• Big Mac Contracting
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 08:37:28 AM »
what type of aircraft is this CF-DPZ?

Also, I always wondered why they had so much remove before flight t-shirts and not pilot stuff!!
It was only a matter of time, carp is a weird market for aviation.

Offline jfdoyon

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 11:03:22 AM »
It's always unfortunate to see these things happen, but the business model and/or plan seemed flawed from the beginning ... poor location choice, small market, limited selection of actually useful stuff that would create some repeat business ... and the prices were not competitive enough to get people in ...

Cudos for even trying though!

Offline pigpen

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 02:04:54 PM »
carp is a weird market for aviation

Yeah, no kidding!  There used to be two flight schools (Westair
and Kanata Flight Center) on the field, with Westair also doing
maintenance and banner town and charter and taking care of
Terry Matthews Falcon 50 jet, and John Larson running the
avionics AMO, and Bradley (sorry First Air) doing maintenance
on the field, and the EAA, and Huisson Helicopters doing training,
with lots of private aircraft either tied down or hangared ...

It's perfectly located on the west end - it is THE general aviation
airport for Kanata/Barrhaven/Stittsville - and there's some serious
disposable income available there.

And it's a ghost town.  Weird.

Offline Tony Hunt

• Husky Pilot
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 08:53:26 PM »
what type of aircraft is this CF-DPZ?

I started another topic on Canucks (like CF-DPZ), because I enjoy flying them and I am likely to get verbose. 

"Carp is weird", etc.  Concur - I think it's something in the water, and being just downwind from the "mountain".   ;D

But it's a perfect location for so many potential aviation uses, it is strange that it is only being pitched at a narrow, high-end real-estate market that does not exist in Canada.  If I retire to an aviation fly-in community like Spruce Creek, I'll be moving to Arizona or Florida, not Carp airport.
Tony Hunt
Ex Cardinal CF-TDN
Ex Baron C-GXOY
Ex Trinidad C-GTLX

Offline bphilion

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 09:57:56 PM »
CF-DPZ is a fleet model 80 Canuck which has been, as Tony alluded rescued from the passing of its long term owner and languishing and is now held by 5 people in EAA chapter 245. Two Owners are Student pilots no less.  (I'm a member of eaa 245 and know them all)

As for Carp they need to do a far better job on the social end. When more people show up at the OFC to talk planes despite the airside restrictions and there is no convenient food it matters to the airport

Members Online

5 Guests, 0 Users

Live ATC

Ottawa CYOW
Toronto CYYZ
Montreal CYUL
you require Flash in order to listen to theses streams. Send PM to npereira to have any Aerodrome added.

OttawaPilot Staff

Administrator:
npereira,

Moderators: uberchuckie,

Recent Members

Machado
lina.evans
jake
BIGGRUMP
ramsub
bcuming
Beemer