Hawkesbury Promo

To advertise on this site, contact NPereira via the website messaging sytem or by phone 819-665-4844

Web Links

To Add more links here, send a private message to nprereira

Student References
Avinca Ground School Ltd
TC Aeronautical Inf. Manual (TC AIM)
Can. Aviation Regul. (CARs)
Study and Reference Guide - TP12880E
Restricted Operator Cert Study Guide
TC Flight Test Guides
Robyns PSTAR Guide
PSTAR exam site
Learn to fly a pilot's vlog

Ultralight References
Ultralight reference site
UPAC Ultralight Pilots Assoc.
UPAC Classifieds

General
OurAirports airport refence site
Franktown Weather Radar
Controller (Aircraft for Sale)
NavCan Wx
OttawaPilots.ca Poster PDF Print and post
SkyVector North American Charts

Navigation Aid
CAC Airport Charts

Rockcliffe Related
RFC HomePage
RFC Club Policies

OFC Related

OFC Main Site
OFC Booking Page

Send a Private message to npereira if you would like to see specific links to OFC.

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Author Topic: Newcommers to the site, come in and say hi !  (Read 51853 times)

Offline livelearnexplorediscovers

Re: Newcommers to the site, come in and say hi !
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2013, 03:21:43 PM »
Hi everyone!  :sign0144: ,but I am not COMPLETELY new to aviation!

As a senior Air Cadet, I am going through my second year of Senior Ground School, aiming for my Power Pilot Scholarship, or in other terms, getting my Private Pilots License this summer! I love flying and I cannot wait to be able to fly!

I am also starting a flying business that will do air taxi (Ex. Flying from CYOW to CYYZ and back), joy flights around Ottawa including sunset and sunrise flights, gliding flights and Ground School.

So if you are Glider Pilot with your 40 hours of famil flight and would like to fly others and possibly earn some side income let me know. If you are a Private Pilot License holder and would like to earn some free hours, let me know (As you cannot fly commercially) If you are a Commercial Pilot License holder and would like to earn some side income doing what you love, also let me know! Lastly, if there are any certified instructors that are willing to launch a Flight School, let me know and we'll talk about it! :) Also let me know if you have IFR Rating and a VFR OTT as they are both very useful!

I hope to talk to some of you through these forums and maybe even about the business! :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:40:22 PM by livelearnexplorediscovers »

Offline Tony Hunt

• Husky Pilot
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2014, 09:50:04 AM »
Hi everyone!  :sign0144: ,but I am not COMPLETELY new to aviation!

As a senior Air Cadet, I am going through my second year of Senior Ground School, aiming for my Power Pilot Scholarship, or in other terms, getting my Private Pilots License this summer! I love flying and I cannot wait to be able to fly!

I am also starting a flying business that will do air taxi (Ex. Flying from CYOW to CYYZ and back), joy flights around Ottawa including sunset and sunrise flights, gliding flights and Ground School.

So if you are Glider Pilot with your 40 hours of famil flight and would like to fly others and possibly earn some side income let me know. If you are a Private Pilot License holder and would like to earn some free hours, let me know (As you cannot fly commercially) If you are a Commercial Pilot License holder and would like to earn some side income doing what you love, also let me know! Lastly, if there are any certified instructors that are willing to launch a Flight School, let me know and we'll talk about it! :) Also let me know if you have IFR Rating and a VFR OTT as they are both very useful!

I hope to talk to some of you through these forums and maybe even about the business! :)
Hi Live&Learn! 

Most of us here are new to aviation, I certainly am. 

Advice is free.  You've thrown a bunch of ideas up, but most of them may not be realistic in Canada.  Before getting any of your friends involved, go buy coffee for the A/CFI at Smith Falls or the CFI at Rockcliffe and ask for their advice about starting a flying business in Canada. 
Tony Hunt
Ex Cardinal CF-TDN
Ex Baron C-GXOY
Ex Husky C-GTHY (my favourite)
Ex Trinidad C-GTLX
Next Aeroplane? - I'm looking!
Instructor - PPL, CPL, Multi-IFR and Tailwheel

Offline 1armbandit

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2014, 12:40:24 PM »
Hi all,

I've been reading posts off the site for some some time - but finally got around to joining.  It is great to have a spot to read up on Ottawa related aviation topics and to interact with others.

I'm an active member of EAA Chapter 245, and a partner with a couple of great guys on CFDPZ, a Fleet Canuck hangared at Carp.  I thought it would be cool to learn to fly on a classic Canadian Trainer.

However, I am taking my train slower than usual  because I have to fly through a few  hoops first:
  • I am an amputee so I have to demonstrate physical ability before even being issued the student pilot permit.  Sort of the chicken and the egg scenario...
  • Due to a foot injury I stopped running last year and gained a crap-load of weight.  Right now I can either fly in DPZ with fuel or an instructor - not both. :banghead:

I ended up starting my training at RFC last year in order to get things started.  I am very happy with the training I have received there thus far.  Great bunch of people.

Next, lose a few pounds (ok, more than a few! :040:) so I can move past the 172's and continue training in the Fleet. 

Also, my 16 year old son is in Air Cadets so I am looking forward to Father/Son flying.

John M.

Offline jfdoyon

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2014, 07:52:03 AM »
Welcome!

Offline chinook

« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2015, 11:30:14 AM »
Hey all. Ultralight pilot. I own C-IKQS. Did ppl groundschool at rfc, then moved on to ultralights. Despite all the bad things said about them, they are not your americal flying lawn chairs anymore. Still the cheapest way to go flying. When maintained right, those 2 strokes are quite reliable. I cruise around 60kt, i takeoff within 250ft on grass, its quite happy with 1000ft usable grass runway. It climbs 1300ft/min on wheels. 30$ gets me an altitude fix and i am happy that way!  Being a pilot is about sharing aviation, so im here to read what you have to say, see if it can make me a safer pilot.

Ive read some comments about some not daring to go land on grass. Grass runways on a taildragger is much safer. I usually stay outside of Ottawa tca (under it) and there's so many nice places to go and land. I was at carleton place yesterday the grass is still nice, the ground is nice and hard.

Cheers!

Offline hans

« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2015, 06:31:01 PM »
Welcome to Ottawa Pilots. Flying ultra lights and certified aircraft are two things as world apart as your general aviation aircraft are from jet fighters. Comparing acquisition cost between UL and GA, I find that for the price of a new UL one can purchase a GA aircraft with much greater utility. Maintenance costs can be held low by transferring the certified aircraft to owner maintenance and by purchasing a plane with a low compression engine you can obtain a mogas stc that allows the use of Ethanol free pump gas. Four stroke engines are way more reliable than two strokers and, talking from experience, I would not trust my butt to a 2 stroke engine at 1000 ft. These engines are prone to plug fouling. ring breakages and crank failures.
This said, I admire the guts of UL pilots and those flying powered parachutes since statistics show a much higher accident rate for this group of flyers.

Offline chinook

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2015, 08:27:33 AM »
I disagree. Ultralights are safe! Just compare the accident rate with GA. See attached chart. That being said, i survived an ultralight crash in june, just like any other airplane, you can put one in a stall at low level with disastrous consequences. I wasnt PIC and just went for the ride.

2 strokes are pretty simple, but you still have to fly them as if they would quit in the next minute. Practice dead stick landings and power faillures in the patern. Overall, the stick and rudder skills you get from ultralights is great! It's back to grassroot aviation. Anytime i fly a c150 or a c172, i feel im riding a rock that needs full power just to stay airborne!

Offline pigpen

« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2015, 07:57:08 PM »
Ultralights are safe!

Utralights terrify me.  Seriously.  Won't fly in one,
and what I do in GA aircraft would blow your mind.

Just compare the accident rate with GA

That would be meaningful if anyone reported ultralight
accidents, which they don't.

Offline chinook

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2016, 02:33:04 PM »
Building your own airplane forces the owner to research and gain knowledge... i greatly appreciate that with ultralights and amateur built airplanes. I actually enjoy building as much as flying. It gives me the opportunity to pick some of the smartest aviation brains. The EAA is a good place to start for qualified brains.

For those pilots who are terrified by ultralights, you're missing on some fun, but i understand your point of view.

Heck, if i could afford a certified aircraft that can go where my ultralights can get in, id already own one.

Certified aircrafts for less than 10K are rare. Those that can operate with less than 1000ft runway are even more rare.

A good friend of mine is a 28K hour ATP and AME. He prefers flying my plane to his C172. Ultralights and gliders are back to basics, stick, rudder and airspeed. Yes they are light, yes they lack inertia, but using techniques and materials that have been proved in aviation for decades, why do they have such a bad reputation amongst GA pilots?
What makes you think they are unsafe?
Are the requirements for people flying them too low?
Do GA pilot lack knowledge about them and get scared?
Why so much fear and stigma about UL's?
I strongly believe flight schools are responsible for a lot of this misunderstanding of ultra light airplanes. They bash them at every occasion, while the ultralight community NEEDS general aviation's support! Just as much as i believe no cessna pilot should just jump in an ultralight and go fly without instruction, despite it being perfectly legal. This is one of the reason ultralights have such a bad rap! Pilots with tons of hours and ratings crash them because they have no experience in inertia management of a 600 lbs airplane.

Doesnt help the reputation of ultralights when overly qualified pilots bends aluminum 50ft short of the fence, sadly, it still happens too often.

Support the lil guys, help them be better pilots, it only makes aviation in this great country safer.

And for those who still think ultralights can fly without a licence, dig up your CARs.... we're in canada here. The country where a C150 and a J3 cub can fly registered as charlie-india.

Ultralight Kilo-Quebec-Sierra out!

Offline jfdoyon

« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2016, 04:52:09 PM »
I'm pretty close to starting a build I think ... about 80% of the way there ... the damn exchangerate is really putting a dent in the plans though!

Many people are afraid of those smaller airplanes.  One should probably not conflate ultra lights with home builts.  You can home build some pretty big planes.

As with is common with fear, it will come from many places, lack of knowledge being the main one.

Although the safety stats for amateur-builts are worst, you have to dig into the causes. As with certified aircraft, the causes are often entirely foreseeable and preventable. Read all the NTSB/TSB incident reports ... Once can see some really boneheaded mistakes that kill people.

By nature, the persons who do this may be just inherently nigger risk takers, which would then lead to worst stats ... but as with any risk, it can be mitigated.

You have to know what you're doing, and be humble enough to admit what you don't know, and do research, etc. takes time and dedication and will, and so on, but the information and resources are out there.

It is entirely not for everyone.  Plenty of pilots don't know what a mag looks like ... building will not be for them ... some like to tinker, or understand, more, have the rind mindset, and this may be for them.

Whatever, to each their own ... I've flown in home builts.  Rock solid, good looking, well equipped, modern, fun, fast, etc. there's lots to like!

Offline Beemer

« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2016, 09:12:41 PM »
Hi folks, PPL night rated born and raised in Ottawa. Originally trained at Rockcliffe Flying Club in 1976, glad to find this site with the local news and influences.

Offline Ramesh

• New private pilot, looking to explore!
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2016, 02:30:05 PM »
Hi folks... Nice to meet you all. Earned my RPP wings recently. Training for PPL at Rockcliffe. Just stumbled upon this site yesterday while searching for Ottawa city tour procedure.

Normex

« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2017, 10:05:57 AM »
Greetings all,
                     I used to have my ppl until year 2000 and with the family to be raised I put it aside for a while so I thought but then was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, at first I thought I could not fly anymore but I managed to get the disease under wraps with a very good drug called Low Dose Naltrexone at 3mg daily, I can walk 400 ft. unaided. So now I'm thinking to go the ultralight route with weight shifting trikes.
I hope dearly to achieve all I dream in the near future.

Thanks All

Offline hans

« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2017, 04:21:29 PM »
  Hi Normex,
Welcome back to flying! I have flown a trike and would rather ride an ox cart. These things come fairly expensive and I am sure that you could find something better than a trike for the money.

Members Online

21 Guests, 0 Users

Live ATC

Ottawa CYOW
Toronto CYYZ
Montreal CYUL
you require Flash in order to listen to theses streams. Send PM to npereira to have any Aerodrome added.

OttawaPilot Staff

Administrator:
npereira,

Moderators: uberchuckie,

Recent Members

jn8402
Zack
doogs
tony24kobe
tylerblack1201
FlyingOtters
Kibble