Hawkesbury Promo

To advertise on this site, contact NPereira via the website messaging sytem or by phone 819-665-4844

Web Links

To Add more links here, send a private message to nprereira

Student References
Avinca Ground School Ltd
TC Aeronautical Inf. Manual (TC AIM)
Can. Aviation Regul. (CARs)
Study and Reference Guide - TP12880E
Restricted Operator Cert Study Guide
TC Flight Test Guides
Robyns PSTAR Guide
PSTAR exam site
Learn to fly a pilot's vlog

Ultralight References
Ultralight reference site
UPAC Ultralight Pilots Assoc.
UPAC Classifieds

General
OurAirports airport refence site
Franktown Weather Radar
Controller (Aircraft for Sale)
NavCan Wx
OttawaPilots.ca Poster PDF Print and post
SkyVector North American Charts

Navigation Aid
CAC Airport Charts

Rockcliffe Related
RFC HomePage
RFC Club Policies

OFC Related

OFC Main Site
OFC Booking Page

Send a Private message to npereira if you would like to see specific links to OFC.

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Author Topic: ADS-B in Canada  (Read 586 times)

Offline npereira

• In the air, or in the sea, but I hate being in between.
  • Administrator
    • My only home !
ADS-B in Canada
« on: April 06, 2018, 08:50:45 AM »
Hi All,

just wanted to start the topic here on ADS-B in/out and what GA pilots think of it and if they will add it to their plane prior to Nav Canada/ TC making their descision on it.

I see that the prices are starting to go down now, and I actually built a home made ADS-B Stratux receiver using a Raspberry Pi mini computer and i actually was able to pickup( from the basement of my house) planes passing overhead for mear 100$. Was pretty neat.

With the uAvionix Skybeacon and Levil Beacon, ADS-B out is starting to be more afforadable, but what if the canadaian legislators dont go with UAT ADS-OUT but what they call the Aireon with Iridium Communication?!? I heard that they are not compatible with what the US is using. Why not simply implement what the US has done and extend it to Canada?  I dont get it.
Better to live a dream, than die dreaming.

C-IMMP (aka Sea Imp) 2008 Challenger II 582.
Powered Paraglider C-IJHT  Polini Thor130.
Private Pilot PPL.

Offline Jo_Pilot

Re: ADS-B in Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:42:08 PM »
Here is what I was told by a NAVCANADA rep at the last CARAC Meeting:

1) NAVCANADA's focus is on the areas of Canada not covered by Radar as well as the Atlantic crossing routes
2) NAVCANADA's system will be space based, 1090Mhz, (Extended Squitter) only, and will NOT include 978Mhz (UHT), the US ADS-B solutions are land based
3) 1090Mhz is only ADS-B out (in the US the weather info is provided on 978 UHT , ADS-B in and out)
4) The US 1090 ADS-B (land based) may or may not be compatible with the Canadian version (I believe this may have something to do with the location of the ADS-B antenna on the aircraft.
5) NAVCANADA is talking to the FAA, but there is at this point no agreement on compatibility of equipment or requirements.

Kitchener Aero (http://www.kitcheneraero.com/news/2013-01-07_%20Avionics%20Update_ADS-B.pdf) has a detailed summary of ADS-B technology

Offline David Megginson

• OurAirports
Re: ADS-B in Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:31:24 PM »
I have a Garmin GTX 350 ADS-B in/out transponder in my Warrior right now, and I love it. It sends traffic and weather both to my GTN 650 GPS via hardwire and to my tablet via Bluetooth. In Canada, I get air-to-air ADS-B traffic, which is becoming more common as Canadians equip to meet the US mandate. In the US, I will also be able to get TIS-B (traffic relayed by ATC) and FIS-B (weather for the US and a bit of Canada). Last week, I was able to receive US FIS-B weather at 6,000 ft over Pembroke, and at 5,000 ft over Ottawa. It's no substitute for Sirius XM weather because of the minimal Canadian coverage, but still nice to have.

The surprise that I get highly-granular flight tracking now, even when I just fly circuits around CYRO, because of the network of amateur ADS-B ground receivers that feed data into FlightAware.

From what I've heard, TC or Nav Canada is running tests to see if they'll need to require an extra ADS-B antenna on top of the plane, or if the one on the bottom will do the job. Last year, for a few flights, Nav Canada automatically prepended "ADSB" to the remarks section of every flight plan I filed. My best guess is that they were adding the value based on my equipment code, and that it was to use me for satellite testing (since my transponder supports 1090 ES as well as 978 UHT).

Members Online

16 Guests, 0 Users

Live ATC

Ottawa CYOW
Toronto CYYZ
Montreal CYUL
you require Flash in order to listen to theses streams. Send PM to npereira to have any Aerodrome added.

OttawaPilot Staff

Administrator:
npereira,

Moderators: uberchuckie,

Recent Members

jn8402
Zack
doogs
tony24kobe
tylerblack1201
FlyingOtters
Kibble