Hawkesbury Promo

To advertise on this site, contact NPereira via the website messaging sytem or by phone 819-665-4844

Web Links

To Add more links here, send a private message to nprereira

Student References
Avinca Ground School Ltd
TC Aeronautical Inf. Manual (TC AIM)
Can. Aviation Regul. (CARs)
Study and Reference Guide - TP12880E
Restricted Operator Cert Study Guide
TC Flight Test Guides
Robyns PSTAR Guide
PSTAR exam site

Ultralight References
Ultralight reference site
UPAC Ultralight Pilots Assoc.
UPAC Classifieds

General
OurAirports airport refence site
Franktown Weather Radar
Controller (Aircraft for Sale)
NavCan Wx
OttawaPilots.ca Poster PDF Print and post
SkyVector North American Charts

Navigation Aid
CAC Airport Charts

Rockcliffe Related
RFC HomePage
RFC Club Policies

OFC Related

OFC Main Site
OFC Booking Page

Send a Private message to npereira if you would like to see specific links to OFC.

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Author Topic: "City tour"  (Read 199 times)

Offline 020shc

"City tour"
« on: September 03, 2017, 09:44:27 PM »
 :sign0144:  New pilot, learned at Rockcliffe and most to all of my flying to date has been out of there and to the north and west.

I'd like to fly over the city. I've asked a couple of people how to do that, and never really got an answer I understood. As I understand it, I just call up Terminal and ask for a "City Tour".

Not sure what that means. Do I have to tell them where I want to go (ie CYRO to Lansdowne to War Museum) or will they tell me (ie follow 417, west bound)? Are there practical limits to where I can go - I understand the Restrictions in the area. I'm just not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

Offline M Philippe

• Member of Boston Virtual
Re: "City tour"
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »
Hi,

Welcome on board. 

Yes, contact terminal and tell them your intentions.  If able & not to busy, they will authorise your plans and go from there.  Don't get intimidated, they are great people.

Congrats on your new license. 

Enjoy!!!

Marc

:sign0144:  New pilot, learned at Rockcliffe and most to all of my flying to date has been out of there and to the north and west.

I'd like to fly over the city. I've asked a couple of people how to do that, and never really got an answer I understood. As I understand it, I just call up Terminal and ask for a "City Tour".

Not sure what that means. Do I have to tell them where I want to go (ie CYRO to Lansdowne to War Museum) or will they tell me (ie follow 417, west bound)? Are there practical limits to where I can go - I understand the Restrictions in the area. I'm just not sure what to expect.

Thanks!
Marc Philippe
PPL-SEL

Offline Ramesh

• New private pilot, looking to explore!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:31:29 PM »
Welcome aboard. I fly from Rockcliffe as well and got my PPL in July. Just like you, I asked folks here for help with city tour. Since then, I have done the city tour a few times. Most recently, I did a nice tour over Barrheaven, where we live ,when rwy 25-07 was closed.

When you call FSS before your flight for VFR code, mention that you'd like to go on a city tour. Then, as you leave Rockcliffe circuit, call Ottawa Tower on 120.1 and tell them that you'd like Ottawa tour at 2000'. You don't have to tell them your route unless they ask you. If you get approved, they will most likely have you cross the Ottawa river over Champlain bridge. After that, to keep things simple for the first time, I suggest that you turn East along 417. If you stay to the south of 417, you will not get anywhere close to the restricted airspaces over the Parliament and Rideau Hall. Once you cross riverside drive, you should be able to see see Rockcliffe. Let Ottawa tower know that you have Rockcliffe in sight and like to start your descent. That's it. Switch to 123.5 and you know the rest of the drill.

Good luck. Let us know how it went!

- Ramesh

Offline 020shc

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 07:51:27 PM »
Thanks Ramesh!
This is exactly what I was looking for - the "what to expect".

I'll give it a shot next time I am out.

Members Online

7 Guests, 0 Users

Live ATC

Ottawa CYOW
Toronto CYYZ
Montreal CYUL
you require Flash in order to listen to theses streams. Send PM to npereira to have any Aerodrome added.

OttawaPilot Staff

Administrator:
npereira,

Moderators: uberchuckie,

Recent Members

Floater
MountainCityAvation
acel
cgroves
Machado
lina.evans
jake