Hawkesbury Promo

To advertise on this site, contact NPereira via the website messaging sytem or by phone 819-665-4844

Web Links

To Add more links here, send a private message to nprereira

Student References
Avinca Ground School Ltd
TC Aeronautical Inf. Manual (TC AIM)
Can. Aviation Regul. (CARs)
Study and Reference Guide - TP12880E
Restricted Operator Cert Study Guide
TC Flight Test Guides
Robyns PSTAR Guide
PSTAR exam site

Ultralight References
Ultralight reference site
UPAC Ultralight Pilots Assoc.
UPAC Classifieds

General
OurAirports airport refence site
Franktown Weather Radar
Controller (Aircraft for Sale)
NavCan Wx
OttawaPilots.ca Poster PDF Print and post
SkyVector North American Charts

Navigation Aid
CAC Airport Charts

Rockcliffe Related
RFC HomePage
RFC Club Policies

OFC Related

OFC Main Site
OFC Booking Page

Send a Private message to npereira if you would like to see specific links to OFC.

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Author Topic: Fuel Theft  (Read 375 times)

Offline hans

Fuel Theft
« on: November 17, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
I use 91 octane mogas in my Piper and this is the second time that one of my tanks has been emptied by thieves unknown. The security cameras at CYND do not cover the tie down areas and steeling fuel from a low wing aircraft is quite easy via the quick drains. I have made some lockable quick drain covers that I will put on which would then leave only the to filler hole for siphoning which is a bit more obvious to passes by. I tried to source lockable fuel covers for Pipers but have had no luck so far. One would think that there is more honour among pilots, although it could have been anybody. 

Offline npereira

• In the air, or in the sea, but I hate being in between.
  • Administrator
Re: Fuel Theft
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 06:25:08 PM »
shut the front door  :lol_hitting:

Your getting fuel stolen from your wings?  jeez !
I did go check out your plane 2 fridays ago, but didnt steel anything...

Did you speak to the FBO guys?  obviously there isnt anyone there at night, but that is weird.
Better to live a dream, than die dreaming.

Bought Sea Imp aka C-IMMP 2008 Challenger II 582.
Private Pilot PPL and Powered Paraglider C-IJHT.

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 10:15:50 PM »
Since this seems to be a re-occurring event I think of taking up Ken Potter's offer of relocating to Carp.
I live in Rockland and the trip to CYND via the bridge is about 68 km compared to Carp at 76 km. I know the people at Carp and am sure of not encountering the same problem there.

Offline Tony Hunt

• Husky Pilot
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 10:04:19 PM »
Losing fuel from one tank only?  I have seen faulty or dirty fuel drains much more than I have heard of fuel thefts at CYRP/CYRO/CYND.  Especially with low wing aircraft since the grit thrown up by the tires sticks to the fuel drain mechanism and causes it to stick open the next time you test the fuel.

After a student took a fuel sample, I always checked to see if there was a drip or stream of fuel still coming out of the drain after the student released the plunger.  Twice it happened and the aircraft owner didn't notice the fuel still pouring out while he examined his sample.

A slow drip from the drain will still empty the fuel tank over time.

The other fuel trick is when the fuel migrates from the uphill tank into the lower tank if you park on a slope.  Some aircraft like the Rockwell Commander do this trick even when parked on level ground.  Have to leave the fuel selector on "OFF" to prevent cross-feeding into the lower tank and overflowing out the fuel vent.  I had a special cap for the Husky fuel vent whenever I parked on uneven ground to avoid loosing half my fuel. 
Tony Hunt
Ex Cardinal CF-TDN
Ex Baron C-GXOY
Ex Husky C-GTHY (my favourite)
Ex Trinidad C-GTLX
Next Aeroplane? - I'm looking!
Instructor - PPL, CPL, Multi-IFR and Tailwheel

Offline rv8bldr

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
Since this seems to be a re-occurring event I think of taking up Ken Potter's offer of relocating to Carp.
I live in Rockland and the trip to CYND via the bridge is about 68 km compared to Carp at 76 km. I know the people at Carp and am sure of not encountering the same problem there.

Hi Hans

Our EAA tie downs are behind a locked gate which is next to the RCMP training facility :-)  You cannot get to our EAA area without either going through the locked gate (high fence) or driving around the taxiways from the other end of the airfield.

Being the VP of the EAA chapter, I know this sounds like a sales pitch (it is !) but at $500 per year, which includes full chapter membership (free use of the hangar, workshop, tool crib, chapter lounge area, etc) it is a pretty sweet deal.

Cheers

Mark

VP EAA 245
RV-8 C-GURV

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 05:32:03 PM »
In reply to Tony Hunt's remarks, I know to tell the difference between fuel loss through the bottom drains and fuel theft. The first incident occurred from the left tank after I had full fuel for a flight the next day. Checking the fuel prior to flight , the left tank was only half full. A check below the wing showed no signs of a fuel leak. The second theft a year later was from the right tank with the same scenario. I installed my fuel drain locks and in conjunction with the wing covers hope that this will make stealing fuel somewhat more difficult.

Members Online

5 Guests, 0 Users

Live ATC

Ottawa CYOW
Toronto CYYZ
Montreal CYUL
you require Flash in order to listen to theses streams. Send PM to npereira to have any Aerodrome added.

OttawaPilot Staff

Administrator:
npereira,

Moderators: uberchuckie,

Recent Members

RCAF36
Floater
MountainCityAvation
acel
cgroves
Machado
lina.evans